Thursday 1 December 2011

Time Out with the Cast of 'The Snow Queen'

Ballet Theatre UK are about to start their third month of the tour and are now giving you the chance to get to know more about the members of the company. We will be highlighting each member of the company, both dancers and crew, to give you a glimpse into their life with Ballet Theatre UK.


Jessica Hill
Company Dancer

Born: Reading, Berkshire
Trained: Tring Park School of Performing Arts

Second Year with BTUK





Q1: What made you want to dance in a mid-scale company?  
A1: Being in a mid-scale company gives you the opportunity to dance roles which you wouldn’t necessarily get a chance to if you were in a larger company. It’s also like being in a family, as we all grow really close over the season.

Q2: Have you had any audition nightmares?  
A2: Last year I was off dance for around 4 weeks with a nasty virus but wanted to go to an audition for a job in a ballet company. Throughout the audition I saw myself getting paler and paler in the mirror and because I hadn’t danced in 4 weeks I was really off my leg and felt like I could barely stand without swaying. Let’s just say I didn’t get the job and wish I had told them I was ill and therefore missed the audition rather than embarrass myself!

Q3: Which roles in 'The Snow Queen' don’t you perform that you would like to?  
A3: I would love to have a chance to dance the princess in Act 2 because I think this is such a fun role to do especially with all the acting and the plate of cakes. She’s such a spoilt character and we always have a giggle when on stage whether you are playing a lady in waiting, the raven or Gerda this is always a fun scene to dance.

Q4: Which performance did you enjoy the most and why?  
A4: The performance that I have enjoyed the most this season has been the Exeter show because it was such a challenge dancing on a T shaped stage. The back of the stage was a small square and then in front of this was a long stretch of floor making up the front of the stage. We had to spend time re-blocking the show, due to the iregualar shape of the stage, but it went down a storm with the audiance!

Q5: What do you normally do when you are back at home?  
A5: I’ve been permanently living out of a suitcase recently because I’m in the middle of a house move with which there have been a lot of problems, causing my parents and me to live with my nana who was kind enough to take us in. Therefore on my days off I have manicures and go shopping as I will admit I am a bit of a shopaholic. But, very soon we will be into our new home just in time for Christmas.

Q6: Do you have any problems sleeping in a different hotel each night?  
A6: Luckily for me I find it easy sleeping anywhere. When we are on tour we spend each night in a different hotel but after the shows my body is always so exhausted I normally fall asleep within 10 minutes of getting into bed. Whenever we are travelling on the tour bus I have found various positions, some comfy and some not quite so comfy, which I fall asleep again in. Then, if there is a sofa at the theatre a sleep in between shows is always enjoyable. So it’s safe to say I’m definitely not sleep deprived on tour.

Jessica will next be performing in The Snow Queen on Friday 2nd of December at The Leatherhead Theatre, Surrey, where Jessica will feature as a soloist in Act1 pas de Trois.

No comments:

Post a Comment